Inquiry-Based Learning, Personalized Education, Self-Discovery
To provide a dynamic, nurturing and personalized education that inspires a passion for learning, self-discovery and connection to the community.
To cultivate engaged, independent lifelong learners who can think critically and apply their knowledge to real-world experiences in order to achieve personal success and contribute positively to their community.
Incorporating Research-based Best Practices
There is a disconnect between recommended research-based best practices for secondary education and what students are offered in traditional school settings.
The Sycamore School incorporates best practices by offering:
- A small and safe learning community
- Differentiated instruction - we identify students’ individual learning strengths, needs, and interests and adapt lessons to match them
- Experiential “hands on” learning activities paired with reflection exercises
- A combination of individualized, paired and group learning opportunities
- Integrated curriculum - connecting concepts across content areas and to the real world
- Developmentally appropriate learning activities
- Positive adult & student relationships that are cultivated through student-teacher collaboration
- A focus on positive social & emotional development
- A true partnership with parents to keep them informed of student progress
Our 10 Core Values
- Respect - The Sycamore School is committed to promoting tolerance, kindness and acceptance of diverse beliefs, backgrounds and lifestyles; we emphasize empathy in our community to cultivate kindness, generosity and a forgiving spirit.
- Diversity - Having a diverse educational community enriches experiences for all our learners. We embrace a variety of learners with varied strengths and struggles; we support ethnic, religious, cultural, political, economic and sexual diversity and we are a community that celebrates our differences.
- Flexibility – We encourage our staff and students to engage in creative problem solving and to keep an open mind, welcoming new opportunities and ways of learning.
- Creativity – We emphasize using your imagination to generate original ideas and think outside the box.
- Resiliency – We encourage our students to take risks, push through obstacles and not be afraid to make mistakes.
- Intellectual curiosity- We want our students engaged in the learning process, so we encourage asking questions, having a voice and active investigation in learning.
- Personal Responsibility – Students need to be invested in their learning, initiate engagement in the learning process and own their behavior, decisions and actions.
- Mindfulness – We cultivate self-awareness so that students can be more present in their learning.
- Connection with the community - We think it’s important that students learn how to positively interact with others and develop an increased awareness and involvement in their local, state, national and global community; by helping others, we learn more about ourselves. Giving students opportunities to help others empowers them to be of service.
- Safe and Nurturing Environment - Students need to feel safe in order to take academic and social risks; they need to be supported in recognizing their strengths in order to achieve their potential.